Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Covering my Sofas!





This is one of the sofas in my kitchen area that had cream covers. 3 dogs and a small boy later it resembled a mucky brown and needed to be covered. I got a ridiculous quote to have it covered and to get upholstery fabric (which is what I was told I would need) would have cost just as much. So, I headed to IKEA (my fav store as anyone who knows me can confirm) and got lovely heavyweight fabric for €80, enough to cover both sofas and can go in the machine. I had a Brother sewing machine (2 years old, very cheap and a dust gatherer) a book from the library about making curtains (which was no bloody use) thread, scissors, and no clue where to start. Took off the old covers, cut out some fabric with my fingers crossed and sewed 4 big 3D squares, and I swear thats how easy it was. the back that sits against the couch is open but you cant see it, I'm not brave enough to do large zips yet so they have ties on them! My only advice would be to try it once with cheap fabric or lining before you cut into the good stuff! Try an old cushion or somthing small first, I would love if we started trying this out ourselves instead of paying someone else ridiculous amounts to do it!

Below is the finished product after about 3 days of sewing on and off - the sofa was too shallow so I removed the large back cushions, tore them up and used the filling to make smaller ones with some fabric from a designer I love called AMY BUTLER, a link to her fabric is in my links section!
Ta Dah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment